How to Get Rid of Wasps: Everything You Need to Know
If you've ever had a problem with wasps, you know how annoying and dangerous they can be. These stinging insects seem to show up at the worst times and can cause a lot of damage. In this blog post, we will teach you everything you need to know about wasps so that you can get rid of them for good!
What do wasps look like?
Most people can identify a wasp when they see one, but did you know that there are actually over 30,000 different species of wasps? The most common type of wasp in North America is the yellow jacket. Yellow jackets are about ½ an inch to ¾ of an inch long and have yellow and black stripes. You're most likely to see them during the summer and fall months. Other common types of wasps include paper wasps, hornets, and mud daubers.
What do wasps eat?
Wasps are carnivores and their diet consists of other insects like flies, caterpillars, and beetles. They will also eat nectar from flowers. You'll often see them near garbage cans, as they are attracted to the smell of rotting food.
What attracts wasps?
There are a few things that attract wasps to your property. Wasps are attracted to sweet smells, so they will be drawn to flowers and fruit trees. They are also attracted to the smell of garbage. If you have a garbage can that is not properly sealed, this can attract wasps to your property.
Another thing that can attract wasps is standing water. Wasps need water to build their nests, so if you have a birdbath or other source of standing water on your property, this can be a problem.
What scents keep wasps away?
There are a few scents that can keep wasps away. Those include:
- Mint - Mint plants emit a strong smell that can be off-putting to wasps. You can plant mint around your property as a natural way to keep them away.
- Citrus - Citrus fruits like lemons and oranges can help deter wasps around your yard.
- Peppermint oil - Peppermint oil is one of the most effective essential oils for keeping wasps away.
- Citronella - Citronella oil is also effective, as it has a strong citrus smell that wasps do not like.
How do you get rid of wasps naturally?
There are a few things you can do to get rid of wasps naturally:
- Remove their food source - If you remove the things that attract wasps to your property, they will be less likely to stick around. This includes getting rid of standing water, sweet-smelling flowers, and sealing your garbage.
- Use traps - You can make your own wasp trap using a plastic bottle, some sugar water, and a piece of meat. The wasps will be attracted to the sweet water and then get trapped inside the bottle.
- Make a homemade spray - You can also make a homemade spray to keep wasps away. Simply mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and spray it around the areas where you've seen wasps.
Do pest control companies remove wasps?
Yes, we here at Sound Pest Control do remove wasps. Give our team of wasp exterminators a call and we will be at your home to determine the factors that are leading to an infestation, and how you can best get rid of it.